There are many pathways for resolution to grievances that students have with faculty/staff or departments. Below are some of the offices that you may find beneficial:

College of Engineering Academic Dispute Resolution Board Member

Phone: (734) 615-1405
Address: 129 Chrysler Center; 2121 Bonisteel Blvd; Ann Arbor, MI 48109

The College of Engineering’s designated Resolution Officer is Angie Farrehi, Director of the Office of Student Support and Accountability. You may contact our office via phone or email to schedule a consultation with her.  There are many options for resolution, including informal and formal grievance processes. Both the main Rackham Resolution Officer and the College of Engineering designated Resolution Officer provide a safe and confidential environment to discuss concerns, and advises faculty, postdoctoral fellows, staff, and students on matters related to emergencies, crisis situations, disputes, and student conduct violations. The Resolution Officers also provide information about Rackham Graduate School, College of Engineering, university policies and procedures, makes referrals, and offer resources when appropriate.

Rackham Resolution Officers

1120 Rackham Building
915 E. Washington St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1070
Phone: (734) 936-1647
Fax: (734) 615-3832

The Rackham Resolution Officer provides a safe and private environment to discuss concerns, and advises faculty, postdoctoral fellows, staff, and students on matters related to disputes, crisis situations, emergencies, and academic integrity violations. The Resolution Officer also provides information about Rackham Graduate School and university policies and procedures, makes referrals, and offers resources when appropriate.

College of Engineering – Associate Dean for Graduate Education

Phone: (734) 647-6851
Address: 1000 Lurie Engineering Center; 1221 Beal Avenue; Ann Arbor, MI 48109

The Office of the Associate Dean for Graduate Education (ADGE) is responsible for the education and welfare of the College of Engineering’s graduate students and research fellows. ADGE oversees nineteen graduate programs, including five interdisciplinary professional programs. The ADGE office works in collaboration with the Office of Student Support and Accountability on grievance cases. The College of Engineering Bulletin outlines the recommended process for a formal grievance complaint here.  You can consult with the Associate Dean for Graduate Education by contacting their office.

Office of the Ombuds

6015 Fleming Admin. Building
503 Thompson Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109–1340
(734) 763–3545

The Office of the Ombuds is a place where students’ questions, complaints and concerns about the functioning of the University can be discussed confidentially in a safe environment. We offer informal dispute resolution services, provides resources and referrals, and helps students consider options available to them. The Office operates independently as a supplement to existing administrative and formal dispute resolution processes and has no formal decision–making authority. The Office is not an advocate for either side in a dispute. Instead, the Ombuds Office is an impartial advocate for fair and consistent treatment. The Office reports administratively to the Vice President for Student Life.

Office of Institutional Equity

The Office for Institutional Equity (OIE) serves as a vital resource and leader in promoting and furthering the university’s commitment to diversity and equal opportunity for all members of its community. OIE works with partners on campus to foster and support an environment that is inclusive, respectful and free from discrimination and harassment – this is our Campus Commitment. To report discrimination and/or harassment prohibited by university policy, please use this Harassment and Discrimination Reporting Form.