When to Refer a Student

Engineering faculty & staff play a key role in identifying and responding to student concerns.

Your role can be a positive and crucial one in identifying students in distress and assisting them in finding the resources available to help themselves. Engineering faculty and staff are encouraged to contact the CARE Center with any concerns about a student.

Student concerns can be raised in many offices and settings across campus. The CARE Center is a central resource within the College of Engineering that works collaboratively with several units across the University to ensure comprehensive and cohesive support for our students, including our colleagues on central campus and Student Life. For information on supporting student concerns, please visit our Rubric for Student Support for CoE Faculty and Staff.

There are many situations where you may reach out to our staff for consultation on the below or other types of concerns. You may also find the Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) website helpful to answer some of your questions regarding student concerns. 

We, in partnership with colleagues across the University, can help engineering students address:

  • Academic Distress
  • Basic Needs
  • Communication Difficulties
  • Concerning or Unsafe Behavior
  • Critical Incident Situations
  • Death/Serious Injury of a Family Member
  • Death of a Student
  • Financial Hardship
  • Grievances & Other Related Concerns 
  • Illnesses or Hospitalization
  • Inability to Find Necessary Resources
  • International Student Concerns
  • Interpersonal & Community Concerns
  • Personal Safety Needs
  • Unresolved Academic or Other Conflicts

The University of Michigan is full of wonderful resources for students, but navigating them can sometimes be a challenge. We try to streamline the help-seeking process by being an easy and central place to ask for help.

There are multiple routes to get the help you need.
Please note that this is not a comprehensive list. Meet with CARE Center staff for an individualized assessment of your needs and relevant resources.

Urgent Situations

Urgent situations might include a student expressing thoughts verbally or in writing that raise your level of concern; or engaging in troublesome behavior, e.g. excessive rage, incoherent thoughts, and/or threats of harm to self or others.

In these kind of emergency situations, we suggest you:

  • Provide a quiet and safe place for the student
  • Contact another staff or faculty person to be involved
  • Maintain a calm and supportive attitude
  • Do not leave the individual alone

Then make arrangements for immediate assistance by contacting one or more of the four resources on the left.

For 24 hour assistance:

  • Dept. of Public Safety (734) 763-1131
  • Emergency Services (734) 996-4747
    (U of M Hospital)
  • CAPS After Hours (734) 764-8312

Michigan Engineering C.A.R.E. Center Mon.-Fri. 8:00-12:00 p.m.; 1:00-5:00 p.m.

  • (734) 615-1405

Dean of Students Office Mon.-Fri. 8:00-5:00 p.m. 

  • (734) 764-7420

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) Mon.-Thurs. 8:00-6:00 p.m.; Fri. 8:00-5:00 p.m.

  • (734) 764-8312




Campus Climate & Safety



Advising resources

Tutoring & Academic Support

Extracurricular / co-curricular

Living/learning Communities



Academic Support

Conflict or Grievances



Housing & Other Living-related Support

Useful Tools & Info